What is CaseFile?
CaseFile is the younger brother to Maltego. It is essentially the same graphing application as Maltego without the ability to run transforms. CaseFile gives you the ability to quickly add, link and analyze data. The application targets a unique market of 'offline' analysts whose primary sources of information are not gained from the open-source intelligence side or can be programmatically queried. We see these people as investigators and analysts who are working 'on the ground', getting intelligence from other people in the team and building up an information map of their investigation.
CaseFile can also simply be used as a free graph viewer for graphs that are built in Maltego.
What does CaseFile do?
CaseFile was born as a result of many Maltego users using the tool to build graphs with offline data that they have from their investigations. These users weren’t using the transforms available in Maltego and just needed the flexibility and performance of Maltego’s graphing capability.
- CaseFile is a visual intelligence application that can be used to determine the relationships and real world links between hundreds of different types of information.
- CaseFile can be used to plot relationships between pieces of information - making it possible to see hidden connections even if they are multiple degrees of separation apart.
- CaseFile comes bundled with many different types of entities that are commonly used in investigations allowing you to act quickly and efficiently. CaseFile also has the ability to add custom entity types allowing you to extend the product to your own data sets.
For a detailed comparison of the features included in the three Maltego clients as well as CaseFile have a look here:
- CaseFile is easy and quick to install - it uses Java, so it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Hardware Requirements:
- A CaseFile client requires at least 2GB of RAM, but the more the merrier as CaseFile loves memory.
- Any modern multi-core processor will have more than enough processing power.
- 4GB of disk space should be more than enough.
- Using a mouse makes navigating Maltego graphs much easier and is definitely recommended.
What can CaseFile do for me?
CaseFile can be used for the information gathering, analytics and intelligence phases of almost all types of investigates, from IT Security, Law enforcement and any data driven work. It will save you time and will allow you to work more accurately and smarter.
CaseFile has the ability to visualise datasets stored in CSV, XLS and XLSX formats as well as export graphs to these formats.
CaseFile aids you in your thinking process by visually demonstrating interconnected links between your information.